As part of a facial feminization surgical (FFS) process, feminizing V-line surgery (also called jaw tapering or jaw contouring) is cosmetic procedure for transgender women to adjust a natural balance of the jawline for the feminine appearance of the lower face. This can also correct the uneven jawline for enhanced symmetry.
WHY FEMINIZING V-LINE SURGERY?
Typically, FFS patients decide on feminizing V-line surgery since they are unhappy with the masculine look of the prominent jaw. This is because the lower face, including the jaw, is one of features in gender recognition.
The differences between male and female lower faces are that the female jawline is rounded in shape and slightly curvier with a more tapered chin (as V-line), while the male jawline is vertically larger, wider and heavier with a prominent jaw angle (mandibular angle), giving a more pronounced square-shaped look.
FEMINIZING V-LINE SURGERY TECHNIQUES
The concept of feminizing the lower face is to reshape the jaw bone to be femininely smaller, smoother and more sloping, and to narrow down the chin bone proportionately to achieve the aesthetically pleasing harmony. Hence, WIH plastic surgeons will determine the appropriate ratio of a patient’s jaw and chin to other facial parts since the precise shape of the jawline and how much jaw bone to be refined differ in each patient.
Via an intra-oral approach, WIH surgeons can modify and feminize the prominent male jawline without leaving any visible scars. By performing osteotomy of the back corners (mandibular angles) together with shaving off along the lower edge of the chin, the newly contoured jawline will appear V-shaped, curvier and more tapered, resulting in a naturally smooth feminine look.
The benefit of the intraoral incision include: leaving no noticeable scarring as the incision is made inside your month.
Oftentimes, feminizing V-line surgery is done together with chin contouring or chin augmentation in the same session to achieve the best possible feminization outcome.
DETAILS OF FEMINIZING V-LINE SURGERY
Type of Anesthesia: General anesthesia for patient’s safety.
Operation Time: 2 - 3 hours
Length of Stay: 2 days 1 night
FEMINIZING V-LINE SURGERY AFTERCARE
- Following surgery, a soft dressing is placed around the head and chin and left in position overnight.
- After the night of surgery, wear the compression garment as much as possible for at least 2 weeks to reduce swelling.
- In the first 72 hours after surgery, use a cold compress and sleep with your head elevated in a recliner or with 2 pillows to help reduce swelling and bruising.
- Pain is well managed with prescribed medication
- Gently maintain good oral hygiene to avoid infection for 2 weeks.
- Consume food as instructed by the doctor and do not consume hot food or drinks for 2 months to avoid burning since the normal sensation around your lip and chin will be disrupted after surgery.
- Do not pull your lips for 2 months to prevent wound dehiscence or separation of the stitches.
- Avoid vigorous exercise or strenuous activity for 4 weeks.