Hairline lowering surgery (also known as scalp advancement or hairline advancement) is a cosmetic procedure for a receding hairline to provide an aesthetic result in lowering the anterior hairline. As part of facial feminization surgery (FFS), this procedure aims to reduce the amount of height between the eyebrows and hairline, so as to alter the level and shape of the hairline, making the entire face appear more balanced, youthful and feminine.
WHY HAIRLINE LOWERING SURGERY?
The upper face, including the hairline, is one of gender indicators. Typically, a masculine hairline is M-shaped (lower in the middle and higher on the sides), making the appearance of a larger, more prominent forehead, whilst a feminine hairline is smooth and more rounded in shape with its apex in the center of the forehead. As a result, in order to achieve a more feminine hairline is to redesign its shape and level properly in balance with the overall face.
Oftentimes, for those who come for facial feminization, hairline lowering surgery is commonly done together with forehead and brow ridge bone contouring and/or feminizing brow lift surgery since these 3 procedures can share the same incision, and it yields a better outcome for both feminization and rejuvenation.
DETAILS OF HAIRLINE LOWERING TECHNIQUE
WIH experienced team of FFS surgeons offers the standard hairline advancement technique via an incision made along the anterior hairline. By utilizing this technique, the scalp will be advanced anteriorly to lower the hairline for up to 2-3 cm. after surgical intervention. Sometimes the surgical plate and screws are used to secure the new position of the hairline.
The degree of hairline advancement is normally determined by the existing hairline height, the laxity of the scalp (how easy the scalp tissues can be stretched), and the patient’s desire. Once the wound is healed, scarring is less to hardly visible as the hair also grows through the incision line so it will cover the scar.
In case patients have a receding hairline (hair recession) greater than 3 cm, and/or very deep or receded temple hairline, hairline lowering surgery can be done with hair transplantation ideally on separate sessions to obtain the best possible and natural-looking result.
DETAILS OF HAIRLINE LOWERING SURGERY
Type of Anesthesia: General anesthesia for patient’s utmost safety
Operation Time: 1.5 hours
Length of Stay: 2 days 1 night
HAIRLINE LOWERING SURGERY AFTERCARE
- Following surgery, a soft dressing is placed around the forehead and left in position overnight.
- After the night of surgery, wear the compression garment as much as possible for at least 2 weeks to reduce swelling.
- In the first 72 hours after surgery, use a cold compress and sleep with your head elevated in a recliner or with 2 pillows to help reduce swelling and bruising.
- Avoid heavy lifting, vigorous exercise or strenuous activity for 1 month.
- Wear button-up shirts to prevent irritating the scalp.
- Pain is well managed with prescribed medications.
- Stitches will be removed after 1 - 2 weeks, depending on your healing.
- Clean your wound with the provided mild antiseptic solution as instructed by the doctor to prevent infection.
1. What is facial feminization surgery (FFS)?
Facial Feminization is a collection of different procedures that primarily aims to eliminate a person’s masculine facial features to become that of a woman’s visage.
The process of selecting the most suitable facial feminization procedures is very crucial and highly individualized which means a set of feminizing procedures is not suitable for all.